Istanbul travel guide


Istanbul Travel Guide

Beyazit complex

Beyazit complex The Beyazit complex gives the name to the area where itís located, the Beyazit Square. The complex is also spelt as Bayezid, Bayazid, Bajazet, Beyazit, Bejazid, Bayazit, or the Turkish Beyazit or Beyazid. It was built under the orders of Sultan Bayezid II (1451-1512) in ad is organized manner between the years 1500 and 1505. The architect that built it remains unknown, although it was originally thought to be Mimar Sinan Hayreddin or Mimar Kemaleddin, but recent studies show Yakubsah Bin Sultan as the most likely architect.

The complex has:
  • A mosque Ė located in the center of the complex, acting like an open-air museum with an impressive Ottoman architecture that displays:

    • A dome of 16.78 meters of diameter supported by four pillars
    • Two minarets 79 meters apart
    • Tombs located in themecca side of the mosque (Kiblah), belonging to:

      • Sultan Bayezid II
      • SelÁuk Hatun (the sultanís daughter)
      • The architect Tanzimat Fermani
      • Mustafa Resit Pasa

  • A religious school (Medrese) to the right of the mosqueused by the Turkish Foundation of Calligraphy
  • An inn (caravanserai)where travelers could rest now used by the Beyazit State Library in the left side of the mosque
  • A soup kitchen for the poor on the left side of the mosque as well
  • A hostel (tabhane) included in the mosque area
  • A hospital next to one of the minarets
  • A kitchen
  • A primary school(Sibyan Mektebi)
  • A Turkish bath (Hamam)known as Patrona Halil Bath, recently restored by the Istanbul University
While the Fatih complex before it, was built symmetrically, the Beyazit complex seems to have a random style. Its mosque shows great masterpieces of art done on the wood, stone and stained glass, and the courtyard marble floor and pillars validate the quality of Byzantine workman ship.

About us | Contact us | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Legal Terms

© 2005 - 2020 - All Rights Reserved